- Acrodynia is a condition of chronic mercury poisoning . In this condition pain and dusky pink discoloration in the hands and feet most often seen in children chronically exposed to heavy metals, especially mercury.
- Eating foods with mercury is the most common cause of mercury poisoning. Children and unborn babies are the most susceptible to the effects of mercury poisoning. You can help prevent toxicity by limiting exposure to this potentially dangerous metal.
- Peripheral neuropathy
Affected children may show :-
- Red cheeks and nose,
- Erythematous lips (red lips),
- Loss of hair, teeth, and nails,
- Transient rashes,
- Hypotonia (muscle weakness), and
Other symptoms may include:-
- Kidney dysfunction
- Emotional lability
- Memory impairment,
CAUSE:- Methylmercury (organic mercury) poisoning is largely linked to eating seafood, mainly fish. Toxicity from fish has two causes:-
- Eating certain types of mercury-containing fish
- Eating too much fish
OTHER CAUSES:- Other causes of mercury poisoning can be exposure or from envoirmental to other forms of the metal. These include:-
- Broken fever thermometers
- “Silver” dental fillings
- Certain types of jewelry
- Household gold extraction
- Skin care products (Those made in the United States don’t usually contain mercury.)
- Exposure to toxic air in industrialized communities
- CFL bulb breakage
SOURCE OF MERCURY:-
- Sphygmomanometers, thermometers,barometers
- Traditional remedies
- Used in gold extraction,caustic soda manufacturing
- Fungicides,seed dressing
- Methylmercury in fish
DIAGNOSIS:-It may include:-
- Physcial examination
- Blood test
- Urine test
- Hair analysis
- GI TRACT:-INORGANIC-15%
HEALTH EFFECTS:-Many health effects like:-
- Deterioates nervous system
- Impairs hearing,speech,vision and gait
- Causes involuntary muscle movements
- Corrrodes skin and mucous membranes
- Causes swallowing and chewing to become difficult
- Granuloma formatiom
- Kidney disease
- Decreased intelligence
- Abnormal circulation
PREVENTION:– The best way to prevent dietary mercury poisoning is includes also:-
- Limit your intake of larger fish.
- Avoid fish that is great levels of mercury .
- Follow fish and seafood serving guidelines for kids: According to the FDA, children younger than 3 years can eat 1 ounce of fish, while a serving size for children ages 4 to 7 is 2 ounces.
- Be choosy with your sushi choices. Many popular these rolls are made with mercury-containing fish.
- Be on the lookout for fish advisories in your area.
- Take a urine or blood mercury test before conceiving.
- Clean your hands right away if you think you’ve been exposed to other forms of mercury.
- Manage household spills of mercury (such as from CFL bulb breakage)
- Avoid actions with known mercury exposure risk like home gold extraction.
TREATMENT OF ACRODYNIA:-
- Treatment of mercury poisoning involves eliminating any and all exposure to the metal. If mercury poisoning is related to a person’s workplace or environmental exposure, doctors may advise that the person change their environment to reduce their exposure, or that the workplace puts new safety measures in place.
- Mercury poisoning may cause some long-term side effects, which will be managed or treated individually.
- Certain types of severe cases of mercury poisoning may need chelation therapy. Chelation therapy is the process of eliminating mercury from the organs so the body can dispose of it.
- The drugs used in chelation therapy attached to heavy metals in the bloodstream and are then removed in the urine. Chelation therapy comes with its own risks and side effects, so it is crucial to use the medication only when nedded.
FEATURES OF MERCURY POISONING:-
- Minamata bay disease
- Pheochromocytoma like picture
- Strawberry tongue
- Danbury shakes
ANTIDOTE IN AYURVEDA:-
- ANKOLA, KARVEERA HARITAKI
- LANGALI SHUNTHI
- BHALLATAKA PALASHA
- SNUHI KSHEERA AVARTAKI
- VISHAMUSTHI JAMBU
- KARPOORA BHRINGRAJ
- JAMBU-PHALA COW,S MILK
- SARSHAPA AMALAKI
- TAMBUL TINTRINI
- BHALLATKA KAPIKACCHU