Actinic cheilitis sometimes known as “farmer’s lip” or “sailor’s lip.” It is a lip inflammation that cause lip dryness and thickening typically along the line that separates the lips from the skin of the face. It is caused by long-term sunlight exposure. It appears as very chapped lips, then may turn white or scaly. Actinic cheilitis may be painless, but sometimes it cause squamous cell carcinoma a type of skin cancer if left untreated. The lower lip is most often affected. People with actinic cheilitis often complain of persistent dryness, cracking of the lips, sun-damaged skin, and extensive wrinkling.
CAUSES OF ACTINIC CHEILITIS
- This is usually due to sun exposure and caused by damage from ultraviolet light. Using tanning beds or sunlamps also damage skin. Extensive damage from UV light can change skin cells known as keratinocytes. Skin cells change texture and color over time due to the UV damage.
- Some people have a higher risk of developing actinic keratosis risk may be higher if people have any kind of these factors:
- Fair skin that sunburns easily
- Albino skin
- Naturally light-colored hair, such as red or blond
- Light-colored eyes
- 50 years or older
- Organ transplant recipient
- Have certain immune system disorder
- Not using sun protection
WHAT ARE THE CLINICAL FEATURES OF ACTINIC CHEILITIS?
Actinic cheilitis mostly commonly affects lower lip in 90% of cases presenting as:
- Thinned, fragile, skin
- Thickened, scaly papules and plaques.
Other clinical features of actinic cheilitis may include:
- Fissuring, focal ulceration and crusting
- Loss of demarcation between the lip border and its adjacent skin
- White thickened patches (leukokeratosis)
- Discoloured skin with pale or yellow area
- Prominent folds and lip lines
- Difficulty applying lipstick, which tends to bleed
COMPLICATIONS OF ACTINIC CHEILITIS
- It is a premalignant condition predisposes to:
- Intraepidermal carcinoma
- Invasive squamous cell carcinoma
- Lip cancer is more common in smokers than in non-smokers.
- Oncogenic human papillomavirus, alcohol abuse, and immunosuppression.
HOW CAN ACTINIC CHEILITIS BE PREVENTED?
- It can be prevented by protecting the lips from sun exposure.
- Reduced smoking cessation.
- Avoiding long-term unprotected sun exposure is the best way to prevent actinic cheilitis.
- Sun protection tips for the lips include:
- Applying sunscreen to the body and face daily,
- Applying lip balms or moisturizers that contain sunscreen, frequently throughout the day, especially during day time.
- Wearing a wide hat and long-sleeved light cloth in the sun
- Men can grow a beard or mustache
Other ways to reduce the risk may include:
- Stopping smoking or chewing tobacco
- Avoiding excessive alcohol use
- Avoiding tanning beds
- Avoiding creams, facial washes, and medications
- Treating oncogenic human papillomavirus properly
- Keep hydrated, especially when in the sun.
WHO GETS ACTINIC CHEILITIS?
- Actinic cheilitis mainly affects adults with fair skin who live in tropical or subtropical areas.
- Especially affects outdoor workers.
- People often having sunburned lips in earlier years.
- People who have actinic keratosis on other sun-exposed sites of the scalp, ears, face, and hands.
- Characteristics used to diagnose the condition include:
- Skin dysplasia, also called abnormal skin cell growth
- Inflammation in the dermis of the skin tissue just below the upper layer
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Skin thickening, usually in patches
- Atrophy causing the skin to appear wrinkled
CAC TREATMENT FOR ACTINIC CHEILITIS
1. Detox Premium Powder – CAC DETOX PREMIUM POWDER are herbo-mineral sachets which are purely Ayurvedic formulation. These sachets mainly detox the body and eliminate toxic substances and helps in proper metabolism of all the functions. This formulation act at the level of the nervous system and facilitate proper conduction of signal impulse from the nerves to the muscles. These sachets have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and immune-modulator. The ingredients present in it are moti pishti, parwal pishti, shukta pishti, Giloy satv, kamdudha ras, Jahar Mohra, akik pishti, gandhak rasayan, sutshekhar ras, etc. These ingredients balances all the three doshas (Vata, Pitta & Kapha) and helps in blood purification, reduces burning sensation, weakness, and hot flashes in ulcerative colitis patients. It reduces the level of high uric acid in the body. The powder is very beneficial in relieving discomfort, numbness, muscle ache, and reduces swelling of the pelvic region. This powder provides a cooling & calming effect on the mouth ulcers. It is very beneficial in reducing the swelling, redness, stiffness, and improves the movements of joints.
DOSAGE – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water
2. Blood Purifier Syrup – It is ayurvedic syrup that consists of various natural ingredients such as Khadir Chall (Acacia catechu), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Harad (Terminalia bellirica), Baheda (Terminalia chebula), Amla (Emblica officinalis), etc. As the syrup purifies the blood by removing excess toxins it is very beneficial in maintaining proper circulation and improves the skin naturally.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
3. Skin Care Plus tablet – skin care tablet is a pure ayurvedic formulation. It help to maintain the texture of your skin depending on the type of skin you have. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimb churna, Khadir chahal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Chopchini, Gandhak, Ajmoda that work very effectively on all skin types. Skin care is a blood purifying tablet. It cools and detoxifies the blood, increase blood circulation of the skin. It minimizes the blemishes, lighten sun tan, delay ageing of skin and heal skin problems.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
4. Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu – Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is an ayurvedic preparation mainly used for skin diseases. This tablet contains pure herbal ingredients such as Nimba(Azadirachta indica), Patola(Cucumis acutangulus), Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia), Vasa(Adhatoda vasica), etc. This tablet promotes detoxification and rejuvenation. Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu tablet is a natural source of anti – oxidant. It promotes engender vibrant and healthy skin.
Recommended Dosage –Take 1 tablets twice a day with normal water.
5. Twak tailam – Twak tailam is the herbal oil and is purely Ayurvedic preparation. CAC Twak Tailam provides relief from various skin problems such as pimples, blemishes, scars, ulcers, wounds, skin rashes, dry patches, itching, skin irritation, reduces redness, etc. It is composed of natural herbs that pacifies all three dosha and provides healthy skin. This oil is made up of pure herbs such as yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), manjistha (Rubia cordifolia). Twak tailam supports skin health, helps in reducing uneven pigments, delays the process of ageing, improves complexion, and helps in deep detoxification, blood purification without any side effects. This oil moisturizes your skin, and makes your skin spotless and glowing naturally.
Method of Application – Apply over the affected area of the skin.