WHAT IS ASTHMA?
Asthma is a medical condition in which the airways of lungs become narrow and filled with mucus. This occur because of the inflammation of the air tubules. It leads to difficulty in breathing, coughing and wheezing sound during breathing. Asthma is also known as bronchial asthma as bronchi are affected. It can be a minor problem in some patients but it can lead to various health implications in others. Coughing and tightness of chest are the typical signs of asthma attack. Treatment of asthma involves symptomatic management and improvement of the quality of life of a person.
WHAT IS AN ASTHMA ATTACK?
When an asthma attack occurs, following three things occur:
- Bronchospasm: This is the tightening of the muscles of airways which makes the airways narrow. Due to this, the air cannot flow freely through the narrow channels.
- Inflammation: There occur swelling of the airways. Swollen air tubules lead to less flow of air through them.
- Excessive mucus production: There is more production of mucus in the airways. This leads to blockage of air tubules.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF ASTHMA?
It has not been found what is the exact reason of asthma, but due to some of the factors it gets triggered. The triggers of asthma vary from person to person. Following are the triggers:
- Allergens present in air like pollens, spores, dander, dust, etc
- Excessive physical activity
- Cold air
- Weakened immune system
- Infections of respiratory system like common cold
- Air pollutants like smoke, toxic fumes
- Emotional stress
- Gastroeshageal reflux disease
- Having a genetic predisposition towards asthma
- Suffering from allergic conditions like atopic dermatitis
- Cigarette smoking
- Alcohol abuse
- Some types of medicines like aspirin, NSAIDS, beta-blockers
DIFFERENT TYPES OF ASTHMA
Asthma is of two types:
- Intermittent asthma – The symptoms come and go and a person feels normal in between the asthma flares.
- Persistent asthma – In this, the symptoms of asthma remain for most of the time.
SYMPTOMS OF ASTHMA
The symptoms of asthma are different in different individuals. The most common symptom of asthma is wheezing. Wheezing is the whistling sound which occurs when a person breathes. The most common signs and symptoms of asthma are:
- Coughing, especially at night
- Difficulty in breathing
- Tightness in chest
- Shortness of breath
- Increased rate of respiration
- Difficulty in speaking
- Increased infections
- Feeling tired
- Difficulty in sleeping due to shortness of breath
AYURVEDIC SAY ABOUT ASTHMA
In Ayurveda, bronchial asthma is known as Tamak shwas. It requires prompt management. It is considered to be yapya but if treated early, the symptoms can be vanished. It is a Pranavaha strotas vikara which is caused by the vitiation of vata and kapha doshas. Tamak shwas occurs because of the following causes according to Ayurveda:
- Aahar (diet) – intake of dry and heavy food
- Vihar ( physical activity)
- Consumption of cold water
- Living in cold, damp and humid conditions
- Cold water bath
HERBS FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF ASHTMA
Some of the herbs which can be helpful for treating asthma are:
- Garlic has strong anti-inflammatory properties. Thus it helps in reducing inflammation and swelling in the air tubules. Use it in food for its benefits. It lessens the symptoms of asthma.
- It is a very good immunity booster. It helps in soothing sore throat and prevents cough. It is mostly used during winters. Mix a little bit honey in tea or just have one spoon of it with 2-3 tulsi leaves.
- Ginger is also having great anti-inflammatory properties. It can be very good in severe asthma. Add ginger in food or on tea especially during winters.
- Caffeine is a very good bronchodilator. It dilates bronchial muscles and thus relieves muscle fatigue. It improves functioning of lungs after a few hours of its intake.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, an anti-inflammatory agent. It is antibacterial and antifungal in nature and thus prevents infection. It also increases body’s immunity.
MANAGEMENT OF ASHTMA WITH THE MEDICATIONS OF CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTER
Here are some of the medications of Chandigarh ayurved center which are used for the treatment of asthma:
The powder contains a mixture of herbal ingredients which are mainly made for the treatment of asthma. Their properties generally balance the vata and kapha dosha. The sachet contains ingredients like – Sitopladi churna, Abhrak bhasma, Laxmi vilas ras, Godanti bhasma, etc. It is used mainly in chronic cough, whooping cough and trouble breathing. It also relieves congestion of chest, sore throat. The ingredients loosen the mucus accumulated in the chest thus making it easy to cough it out. Its main therapeutic effects appear on lungs, pleura, and airways.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 Sachet twice a day with normal water.
2. Swas Kas Chintamani Ras
Swas Kas Chintamani Ras is an Ayurvedic medicine in tablet form, used in the treatment of respiratory diseases. This medicine should be used under medical supervision. This medicine is most commonly used in north Indian Ayurvedic practice. These tablets are pure Ayurvedic preparatipon which contains pure herbal ingredients like swarna bhasma, shuddha parad, shuddha gandhak, suwaranmakshik bhasma, abhraka bhasma, loha bhasma, yashtimadhu, kantakari, etc. It is used in the treatment of cough, cold, bronchitis, asthma, allergic rhinitis, allergic bronchitis.
Recommended dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily.
3. Anu Tailam
Anu tailam is herbal and ayurvedic oil used for the nasal instillation for curing the various diseases. It is administrated through the nasal passage to lubricate, protect and calm the mind. It includes – Sesame oil, Bael tree root, Solanum root, Cinnamon stem bark, Holostemma tuber, cardamom fruit, etc. It mainly balances the Kapha dosha and is beneficial in diseases of head, brain, face, nose, and eyes. Its use is generally recommended in chronic headache, problem of migraine, sinusitis, improves the voice, and vocal cords. Anu tailam gives effective results to asthma patients.
Recommended Dosage– Put 2-3 drops of Anu tailam in each nostril.
4. Broncho care syrup
Broncho care is ayurvedic syrup containing ingredients such as Vasa patra (Adhatoda vasica), Kantkari (Solanum surattense), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Bharangi (Clerodendrum serratum), Chitrakmool (Plumbago zeylanica), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), etc. It is mainly used in chronic cough, bronchitis, whooping cough, common cold, etc.
Recommended Dosage– Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day.
5. Cough Go Tablets
These herbal tablets are beneficial in cough, cold, bronchitis, & other respiratory disorders. Cough Go Tablets are ayurvedic formulation containing Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Pippali (Piper longum), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum), etc. All these ingredients show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, bronchodilator, & expectorant properties.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 tablet twice a day with normal water.
6. Kantha Sudharak Vati
The ingredients used for the preparation of the Kantha sudharak vati are Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Karpura (Cinnamomum camphora), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), Lavang (Syzygium aromaticum), Javitri (Myristica fragrans), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi).This is prepared from soothing and expectorant herbs thus relief all throat problems. It gives very effective results in chronic laryngitis, bronchitis and asthma.
Recommended Dosage– Take 2 tablets thrice a day.