Muscular dystrophy is a group of muscular diseases in which weaken our muscle and loss of muscle mass. This weakness is due to the lack of a protein called dystrophin, which is necessary for normal muscle function. When absence of protein in muscles, some problems can occur in walking, swallowing, and muscle coordination. Muscular dystrophy can occur at any age, but mostly occur in childhood.
Acc. to Ayurveda, muscular dystrophy is due to imbalance of vata dosha. Acharyas consider this condition as Adibala-pravrit (disease that occurs by defects in shukra i.e. spermatozoa and shonita) with Mamsagata Vata (Vata dosha vitiation in Mamsa dhatu) due to Srotorodha (obstruction in tissue microchannels).
There is reduction of Dhatvagni (metabolism) increases the ama (toxins) formation, followed by vitiation of Kaphadosha. While Srotoavrodha produces hypertrophy in particular region, Vata is manifested first as Prakopa (vitiation) and then depletion occurs.
- Mamsakshaya of sphik (muscle wasting of thigh)
- Mamsasphik, uru, janghavrudhi (hypertrophy of muscles of thigh, chest, abdomen and hip)
- Gurugatrata (heaviness of muscles)
- Adhimamsa (hyperplasia of muscle)
- Prabhrutayomamsadoshaja (inflammation of necrosis of muscle)
- Abnormality walking
- Flaccid muscles
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of muscle
- Permanent shortening of muscle
- Delayed development or learning disability
- Constantly walking on tip toe
- Difficulty swallowing, fatigue, scoliosis, or shallow breathing
- Muscular dystrophy is caused by defects in some genes, with type determined by the abnormal gene.
- It is also caused by mutations on the X chromosome.
- Muscular dystrophy is due to a different set of mutations, but all prevent the body from producing dystrophin. Dystrophin is a protein essential for building and repairing muscles.
In Ayurveda, it is mainly caused due to vitiation of Beeja Bhaga Avayava, Specifically matruja beeja bhaga Avayava dushti. As mamsa Dhatu is originated from Matruja Bhava. Adhibala pravruttha Vyadhi is a kind of Adhyatmika Vyadhi, Caused due to vitiation of Shukra and shonita which in turn leads to vitiation of Beeja Bhaga and Beeja Bhaga Avayava Dusti leads to manifestation of Muscular Dystrophy.
According to Ayurveda, the drugs possessing properties like Medhya (memory boosting), Balya (strenthening), Rasayana (rejuvenative), Agnivardhana (digestive & carminative) & Vatadoshahara are administered both internally and externally as a principle guideline for nourishment, followed by strengthening and rejuvenation of mamsadhatu.