- Laryngitis is an inflammation of voice box from overuse, irritation or infection. Swelling of the voice box can be caused by an infection, such as a cold, the flu, bronchitis or by overuse.
- Inside the larynx are vocal cords — two folds of mucous membrane covering muscle and cartilage. Generally, vocal cords open and close smoothly, creating sounds through their movement and vibration.
SYMPTOMS:- Laryngitis symptoms are caused by something more serious or long lasting. Laryngitis signs and symptoms can include:-
- Weak voice or voice loss
- Tickling sensation and rawness in throat
- Sore throat
- Dry throat
- Dry cough
CAUSE:– The most common cause of acute laryngitis is a viral infection. Laryngitis occur if you’re prone to:-
- The flu
Other causes of laryngitis are:-
- Overuse of the voice, such as screaming, loud cheering, singing
- Throat irritation caused by inhaled medications, like asthma inhalers
- A fungal infection, such as thrush
- An injury, such as a smash to the throat
- Inhalation of chemical fumes
- Sinus disease
- Acid reflux can also play a role.
DIAGNOSIS:- It may include:-
- Physical Examination
RISK FACTORS:- Risk factors for laryngitis include:-
- Getting a respiratory infection, such as a cold, sinusitis or brocnhitis
- Contact to irritating substances, such as cigarette smoke, excessive alcohol intake
- Overusing of voice, by speaking too much, speaking too loudly, shouting or singing.
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Difficulty in breathing
- Narrowing of airways
PREVENTION:– To stop dryness or irritation to vocal cords:-
Avoid smoking :- Smoke dries throat. It can also cause vocal cords to become irritated.
Limit alcohol and caffeine:-Avoid excess alcohol consumption.
Drink plenty of water:- Fluids help keep the mucus in throat thin and easy to clear.
Keep spicy foods out of diet:- Spicy foods can cause stomach acid to go into the throat or esophagus. This can lead to heartburn or GERD .
Taking healthy foods :- Eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains. These foods can also help retain the mucous membranes in the throat healthy.
Avoid clearing throat:- Clearing throat also causes throat to secrete more mucus and get more irritated, So avoid clearing the throat.
Avoid upper respiratory infections:- Wash hands often, and avoid contact with people who have upper respiratory infections such as colds and flu.
AYURVEDIC VIEW FOR LARYNGITIS:-
- In Ayurveda, chronic laryngitis is associated with “SWAR BHEDA”.It is the disease of Pranavaha strotas(respiratory system), caused due to vitiation of vata and kapha affecting the rasa.
AYURVEDIC TREARMENT FOR LARYNGITIS:-
- Ayurvedic treatment involves certain therapies with that act as herbal antibiotic, blood and lymph cleansing herbs.Sometimes, demulcent herbs which are an agent that forms a soothing film over a mucous and give effective relief.
AYURVEDIC MEDICINE FOR LARYNGITIS:-
- SITOPLADI CHURNA
- LAXMIVILAS RASA
- KANTHSUDHARAK VATI
- KHADIRADI VATI
- LAVANGADI VATI
- VYOSHADI VATI
- TANKAN BHASM
- TALISADI CHURNA
- YASHTIMADHU GHANVATI
PANCHAKRMA TREATMENT FOR LAYNGITIS:-
- SHASTI SHALI PIND SWEDAN
- PATRA POTLI PIND SWEDAN
AYURVEDIC HERBS USED IN LARYNGITIS:-
HOME REMEDIES FOR LARYNGITIS:-
These natural sore throat remedies to relieve :-
salt water :-Dissolve half a tablespoon of rock salt in warm water and gargle. It will help reduce the swelling in throat. It will also help loosen the mucus and remove it.
Henna leaves -:-Make decoction of these leaves and use for gargle.
Cardamom powder :- Dissolve the powder in water, pour and do gargle.
Methi seeds :- Boil them in water, pour, and gargle.
Turmeric water :- Turmeric is an excellent antioxidant. Mix turmeric powder in hot water along with salt use for gargle.
Basil water :- Boil water with tulsi leaves . After straining it or gargle with it.
Tankana Bhasma :-This is made from borax. Dissolve some Tankana Bhasma powder in water, and gargle twice a day.
DRINK LEMON AND GINGER WATER:-
Add a spoon of honey and lemon juice to warm water and drink it.It help to cure hoarseness of voice.
DRINK WARM LIQUIDS:-
Warm fluids will help moisten throat preventing a dry throat and the resulting dehydration. It may include:-
- Tea with ginger and honey is a popular mixture that calms the inflamed throat.
- Red hibiscus tea helps cure sore throat. Red hibiscus tea is also useful as it is loaded with Vitamin C.
- Sip some warm water from time to time to keep hydrated and wet in the throat.
- Take Triphala and Yashtimadhu decoctions.
DRINKING WARM WATER WITH HONEY:-
- It helps relieve pain and inflammation, and honey is a natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory substance.
- By fighting inflammation, it may help reduce pain and discomfort in the throat. Honey can also act as a cough suppressant.
- TAKING GARLIC:-Add some garlic in food it cure the laryngitis. Garlic has antibacterial properties, so it may help to cure infection sooner.
CAC SPECIAL MEDICATION FOR LARYNGITIS:-
- BRONCHO CARE COUGH SYRUP
- AMRIT TULSI RAS
- COUGH GO TABLETS
- KANTH SUDHARAK VATI
- TRIKATU TABLET
- KAPHA BALANCE TABLET