Trigeminal neuralgia is a neurological disorder that impacts the 5th cranial nerve (trigeminal nerve) which is one of the largest nerve present in the head. It causes sudden and intense pain in the face, which people describe as a blinding pain in the cheek, teeth, forehead, jaw, gums, and other regions of the face. Typically pain can impact both sides of the face and pain symptoms will impact only one side of the face at a time. The episode of trigeminal neuralgia pain can last up to two minutes.
Symptoms Of Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Episodes of solemn, shooting ache that may perceive like an electric shock
- Attacks of pain for hours or even days
- Pain in cheek, jaw, teeth, gums, lips, or less often the eye and forehead
- Pain that happens with facial twitch
- Perpetual pain in one side of the face
- Bouts of multiple attacks lasting days, weeks, months or longer
- Pain impacting one side of the face at a time
- Pain may affect one spot or may spread in a wider pattern
- Pain rarely eventful at night while sleeping
- Trigeminal neuralgia attacks that become more frequent and severe over time
Natural Home Remedies for Trigeminal Neuralgia
Application Of Pressure-
Applying pressure with the entire hand to the impacted area can help relieve you of the discomforting of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Apply Heat or Cold Therapy
Apply heat to the impacted area by pressing a hot water bottle or any other appropriate hot compress to the painful spot. Taking a hot bath or shower may relieve you of the symptoms. Cold applications such as cold water or ice water application may also help you get relief.
Peppermint essential oil works as a pain reliever and aids in relaxing the muscles and controls the muscle spasms. You may also use peppermint candies.
- Holi Basil (Tulsi)
This traditional herb also known as Tulsi or “Elixir of life”. It works wonder as a stress- regulator and inhibits the nerve pain in the cases of trigeminal neuralgia. This is an effective herb that has been employed for over 3000 years because of its great healing powers. The plant is packed with minerals and vitamins, like manganese, vitamin A and vitamin K.
Ginger oil comprises a compound named zingibain, which is well known to have strong anti-inflammatory characteristics and it prevents from the inflammation. The employ of ginger oil may aid reduce the pain which occurs due to the inflammatory conditions.
- Lavender and Chamomile essential oils:
Borneol, is a compound that is found in chamomile and lavender essential oils, may help alleviate the inflammation and pain resulting due to trigeminal neuralgia. Hence you may employ these two beneficial essential oils.
- Dietary Changes
Certain vitamins like vitamin B12 and minerals can aid minimize the discomforting trigeminal neuralgia symptoms. They reduce the inflammatory responses and aid to form a stronger immune system.
Meditation does not lower the pain quickly, but it aids bring the mind to a state beyond pain. The art of mindfulness may help you take your mind away from focusing on the pain and thereby get relief.
- Yoga exercise
Here are certain relaxing techniques which can help you obtain relief.
Perform yoga exercise such as:
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
- Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
- Vyaghrasana (Tiger Pose)
- Natarajasana (Dancer Pose)
- Anuloma Viloma Pranayama
- Bhramari Pranayama