Hiccups is common, but there are many people who get hiccups again and again. Many pregnant women also have the problem of hiccups. Usually people drink water to treat hiccups, but sometimes even water does not cure the problem of hiccups. For this you can try out some home remedy.
What is a hiccup?
Hiccup is also known as Hikka in Ayurveda.
According to Ayurveda, any disease occurs in the body due to imbalance of Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Similarly, hiccups are caused by Vata and Kapha dosha disorders. The trouble with hiccups is usually caused by a respiratory system disorder, but the digestive system also plays a role in this.
Hikka is caused by the contraction of the diaphragm. The diaphragm is the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen. It plays an important role in the process of inhalation and exhalation. If there is contraction or pressure in it, then your vocal cords (larynx or vocal cords) suddenly close and produce a ‘hic’ sound.
This is called hiccups or hiccups. It is good to use home remedies to stop hiccups.
Causes of Hiccup
This problem is seen more in women than in men. The diaphragm muscle plays an important role in this.
The phrenic nerves control and stimulate the movement of the diaphragm. If there is any problem in these nerves, there is a spasm in the diaphragm, and hiccups occur due to the sudden closure of the epiglottis.
Sometimes hiccups also occur due to overeating, swallowing air, eating very hot and spicy food, stress or any kind of shock.
The reasons for hiccups can be:-
- Eating unhealthy food
- Consumption of cold food.
- Eating in a state of indigestion.
- Staying in a cool place.
- Intake of smoke, dust, strong air.
- Overeating or talking while eating.
- Drinking carbonated beverages.
- Drinking more alcohol
- Being under any kind of stress or being emotionally agitated.
- Chewing gum for a long time.
- Even after laughing for a long time, air goes into the person unconsciously, and hiccups occur.
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Excessive use of Tranquilizers to relieve stress.
- Trouble sleeping
Causes of Hiccup in Pregnant Women
The reasons for hiccups in pregnant women can be as follows-
During pregnancy, breathing becomes more than normal to supply oxygen to the fetus. At this time, due to lack of oxygen due to any reason, there is a contraction in the diaphragm. This causes hesitation.
Read Also: Diet Chart for Pregnant Women
Sometimes eating or drinking too quickly causes hiccups.
Acid reflux occurs due to pressure on the stomach during pregnancy. This also causes hiccups.
For this, women should eat slowly and comfortably. Women can cure hiccups by staying relaxed and with a proper lifestyle.
Some home remedies to stop hiccups
Usually hiccups go away on their own after some time, but if hiccups persist for more than 2-3 days, then it becomes a big problem. At this stage, measures should be taken to stop the hiccups.
You can try these home remedies for hiccups:-
Amla and sugar candy remedies to stop hiccups
- Mix one gram powder each of dry ginger, gooseberry and peepal and eat it with honey or sugar candy.
- Hiccups can be stopped with this home remedy.
Pippali and Mishri
- Mixing Pippali powder and powdered sugar candy, snorting the patient of hiccups stops hiccups.
- If hiccups are causing more problems, then definitely contact an Ayurvedic doctor.
Lemon and Salt
- Add lemon juice and a pinch of salt and a few mint leaves to lukewarm water.
- Drinking this gives relief in both hiccups and gas.
- Salt and mint should be used in this way to stop hiccups.
Ginger and Harad
- Make a powder by grinding equal quantity of dry ginger and big myrtle.
- Taking three grams of this powder with water stops hiccups.
Kutki and Honey
- Mix 1-2 pinch of kutki powder with honey and eat it 3-4 times a day.
- It gives relief from hiccups.
Asafoetida and Butter
- Taking 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder with 1/4 tsp butter is used to cure hiccups.
- These are ways to stop hiccups.
Other Home Remedies for Hiccups
You can also try these home remedies:-
- Suck a lemon slice once in a while to get quick relief.
- Boil 2-3 cardamoms in a glass of water and drink it, it provides relief.
- Taking one spoon of honey mixed with a glass of cold water provides quick relief from hiccups.
- To stop hiccups, put a spoonful of sugar in the mouth and suck it, and then drink water.
- Make and consume Kulatha dal or soup.
- Mix two grams of haritaki powder with honey and lick it repeatedly.
- To stop hiccups, take juices of amalaki and kapittha. Mix honey and pippali in it and give it to lick.
- In case of frequent hiccups, take Chitrakadi Vati thrice a day.
- Hiccups can also be stopped by drinking water frequently when hiccups occur.
- In case of hiccups in babies, feed a spoonful of honey or peanut butter.
- Taking a small piece of ginger and chewing it slowly can stop hiccups.
- Try to startle the person with hiccups suddenly, or try to divert their attention.
When to contact doctor?
Usually hiccups go away on their own within a short time, but if it lasts more than a day or two, then it indicates a problem with the nervous system. You can take full advantage of these home remedies, but if the situation worsens, a doctor should be consulted immediately.