It is also called dyspepsia and upset stomach. Indigestion cause discomfort in upper abdomen. Indigestion describes symptoms such as abdominal pain and feeling of fullness after start eating, rather than a specific disease.
Indigestion has many causes including:
Diseases such as:
- Stomach cancer (rare)
- Gastro-paresis – it is a condition where the stomach does not empty properly.
- Stomach infections
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Thyroid disease
Medications such as:
- Aspirin and other painkillers,
- Estrogen and oral contraceptives,
- Steroid medications,
- Certain antibiotics,
- Thyroid medicines.
- Eating too much, eating too fast, and eating high-fat foods.Drinking too much alcohol
- Cigarette smoking
- Stress and fatigue
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Early fullness during a meal.
- Uncomfortable fullness after a meal.
- Discomfort in the upper abdomen.
- Burning sensation in the upper abdomen.
- Bloating in the upper abdomen.
- Abdominal pain
- Belching and gas
- Nausea and vomiting
- Acidic taste
- Growling stomach
PEOPLE WHO HAVE GREATER RISK FOR INDIGESTION?
- People of all ages are affected by indigestion. It is extremely common. People with increased risk of indigestion include:
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Drugs that may irritate the stomach such as aspirin and other pain relievers.
- Abnormality in the digestive tract such as an ulcer.
- Emotional problems, such as anxiety or depression.
HOME REMEDIES FOR INDIGESTION
1. Baking soda – indigestion cause the presence of excess acid in stomach.
- Certain foods like beans, cabbage, milk products and onions and others result in indigestion.
- Baking soda has sodium bicarbonate that acts as an antacid helping to neutralize stomach acid.
- It react with the excess formation of hydrochloric acid to break down the effect of the acid in stomach.
- It also detoxifies the digestive system and give relief from heartburn and indigestion.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar – it is one of the most effective cures for indigestion.
- If people suffering from digestion problem then it is an excellent source of magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium and other minerals that help in digestion.
- ACV acidic in nature that breaks down the fats and preventing acid re-flux.
- The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar helps to cure indigestion by virtue of its alkaline-based digestive attributes.
3. Indian Gooseberry (Amla) – Amla has aphrodisiac, diuretic, laxative, carminative, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
- These properties help to stimulate digestive process, curing indigestion, heartburn and acidity.
- Amle ka murabba is one of the most effective ingredients for curing indigestion.
4. Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya) – Dhaniya seeds known for antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that relieve from upset stomach and indigestion further it stimulating digestive process.
- Coriander seeds consists of an essential oil called urandrol that detoxifies the liver and increases appetite in people also curing indigestion.
5. Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – Ajwain cure various digestive disorders including indigestion, acidity, and flatulence.
- The active enzymes present in ajwain help in boosting the digestive system by facilitating gastric juices.
- Take ajwain with water for a week cure indigestion.
6. Mint leaves – It is commonly known as pudina.
- Mint leaves have digestive properties and can act as a natural cooling agent.
- This helps to get proper relief from acidity and heartburn.
- One cup of mint tea acts as an effective natural remedy for acid re-flux.
7. Tulsi leaves – Tulsi also known as Basil.
- The leaves help to produce mucous in stomach that treat heartburn while the leaves soothe the stomach lining.
- Just chew 2-3 basil leaves or boil them in water and drink it to get immediate relief.
8. Ginger – ginger has various digestive and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It can be considered one of the most effective home remedies for acid reflux.
- People can use ginger in cooking, chew a slice of fresh ginger also can boil in a glass of water and drink drink when it remain half may helpful in heartburn.
9. Butter milk (chaas) – chaas is most helpful home remedies for acid reflux and heartburn.
- It contains lactic acid that helps to normalize acidity.
10. Chew gums – according to some studies chewing gum give relief from acidity.
- Chewing gum leads to increase saliva production which may help get rid of acidity in the esophagus.
11. Raw almonds – They are rich in natural oils provide soothing effect on stomach.
- Raw almonds also help in digestion process.
- Almond milk keep stomach in a good health and give relief from acidity.
12. Jaggery – it give relief from heartburn and acid reflux.
- It helps with the digestive process and give relief from acidity.
- It provide cooling effect on stomach.
13. Watermelon juice – Watermelon keeps the body hydrated during summers.
- Watermelon juice also act as one of the natural remedies for heartburn.
- Just take a glass of watermelon juice with your breakfast to get relief from acidity.
14. Aloe juice – Aloe juice can help to soothe irritation caused by acid reflux.
- People suffering from heartburn get the habit of drinking ½ cup of aloe juice before meals to keep stomach and esophagus soothed.
15. Fennel seed – This is antispasmodic herb. Soothe gastrointestinal problems like stomach cramping, nausea, and bloating.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of crushed fennel seed in water and boil for 10 minutes before drinking cure indigestion.