NATURAL WAYS TO BOOST IMMUNITY IN CHILDREN
- 27 Sep, 2021
- Posted by admin
- 0 Comment(s)
- Parents are always caring to their children so as a caring parent, you might be looking for the immunity boosting method for your Kids.
- The delta variant has caused a lot of anxiety among parents and Kids are the heart of the fears around a possible third wave of Covid-19.
- When you go out let suppose in a park, it is impossible to keep your child away from germs.
- Thankfully, babies produce their own antibodies and some are transferred to them through their mother to fight against various infections but their immune system got fully developed by the time they’re 7 or 8 years old.
- But it depend how they live and the lifestyle the parent set up for them. It can either weaken or strengthen the growing immune system of your Kid.
- One should follow a healthy lifestyle that includes getting enough rest, eating a well balanced diet and getting regular exercise to avoid stress, it helps to strengthen the immune system of your little ones.
So, here are some measures to improve your kid’s immunity and help reduce their chances of getting sick.
Mother’s milk contains “Colostrum” (i.e.loaded with immune, growth and tissue repair factors) and it is considered as the gold standard in building immunity of your baby. Babies who are breastfed for at least 6 months have a better developed immune system and seem to be less prone to infections and allergies in some studies.
2. Follow the immunization schedule-
The parents should follow the vaccination schedule advised by the pediatrician. Ensure that your kid gets the required vaccine shots on time. This is vital for all children, especially those with asthma and other chronic health issues.
3. Intake of a healthy diet for your Kids-
Provide your child with a rainbow i.e. serving vegetables and fruits of different colors.
For example- Carrots, green beans, oranges, berries, Avocados, bell peppers and broccoli those are rich in antioxidants or phytonutrients. A diet that is rich in phytonutrients helps to enhance immunity and intercellular communication, repair DNA damage from exposure to toxins, detoxify carcinogens and alter estrogen metabolism.
Some essential nutrients for children for a good healthy-
- Calcium- It helps build strong bones and teeth. For ex. Milk, Yoghurt, cheese, Eggs, Spinach, Broccoli etc.
- Fat- It helps to create energy, helping hand in the brain develop, good for healthy skin and hair and protects against infections.
- Folate- It is very essential as it helps cells to divide.
- Iron and magnesium- Red meat, Liver, Shellfish, whole grains, nuts , bean etc.
- Protein- Meat,Poultry,Fish, Eggs, Nuts, Beans and dairy products.
- Carbohydrates-Breads, Cereals, Rice, Crackers, Pasta and potatoes etc.
- Zinc and Fiber- Broccoli, whole grains, Lentils, nut etc.
- All the Vitamins like Vitamin A,B,C,D,E and K rich diet- Some examples are Citrus fruits, Strawberries, Papaya, Mangoes Melons, Carrots, Tomato, Apricots, Fish oils etc.
- Food items with excess of sugar and junk food should be avoided or limited t o an occasional treat rather than a regular feature.
- Try to get your child to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. (A serving is about two tablespoons for toddlers, 1 cup for older kids.)
4. Maintain a healthy gut-
- Your baby’s stomach health is very important for a healthy immune system. As what you feed your babies it will ultimately act on the whole body.
- Majority of all infections arise from stomach. Intake of food rich in probiotics strengthens the intestinal tract and aids the growth of good bacteria. For Ex- Intake of Yoghurt is a great way to include probiotics in your daily diet.
- For infants, you can mix little quantity yoghurt to pureed fruit on the other hand elder children can enjoy carrot or cucumber sticks with a yummy yoghurt dip.
5. Get enough sleep-
In Ayurveda, Nidra or sleep plays an important role for the healthy immune system and growth.
Your child should sleep for approx. how many hours?
|Age||Hours of Sleep|
|New born||15 to 18 hours|
|1 to 8months||14 to 15hours|
|8to 15months||12 to 15hours|
|15month to 3years||12 to 14hours|
|3-6 years||11 to 13 hours|
|7to 12 years||10 to 11 hours|
You should set routine for bedtime could include a light massage or reading together for some time. A well-rested child is energized and better equipped to keep infections at bay.
6. Be active-
- Yoga and Pranayama or Exercise plays a huge role in overall fitness.
- Plan an hour of activity with your kid in the park or an indoor can work wonders for your child’s and your health and boost up the immune system.
- Exercising together or playing a sport as a family is fun and amazing way to bond and stay fit.
7. Maintain Good Hygiene-
- Good hygiene is really important to keep germs and infections away.
- Train your children with good habits like washing hands before and after eating, after playing and after using the toilet so that it become a habit.
8. Proper care while moving outdoors-
- Move outdoors with proper mask and sanitizer and keep an eye towards your child. With all the precautions and guidelines take your child for fresh air and vitamin D, required by each cell in the body and to build up immunity.
- Do ensure proper hands and feet washing after coming back to indoors.
9. Avoid Passive smoke-
- The ill-effects of passive smoke are well known, as the toxins present in it can kill healthy cells.
- Children can inhale more smoke if it is present in the environment as Kids breathe at a faster rate than adults. Thus, a smoke-free space has great benefits for your child and everyone.
10. Avoid the use of antibiotics unless necessary
- Antibiotics act fast but taking it as a first step for your child may not always be the best idea.
- Though Antibiotics wipe out harmful bacteria but it also wipe out the good bacteria, thus compromising the immunity of the body.
11.Swarna Prashana Sanskar-
- It is an ancient ayurveda practice to increase immunity and promote healthy growth both physically and mentally.
- In this process the child is administered in Pushya nakshatra, it is a formula prepared with gold particles and it is considered to be a unique practice in Ayurveda.
- It can be given from Birth and up to the 16years of age. It is given with clarified butter and honey in a dose of two drops up to 6 months and four drops after 6 months. It can be given daily for a minimum of 30 days and maximum of 180 days.