- Retinoids are a class of chemical compound that are derived from vitamin A (retinol) that encourage healthy skin. They are used for various dermatologic conditions. Retinoids are one of the most common methods of treatment of acne.
- Retinoids have many important functions throughout the body including roles in vision regulation of cell differentiation and proliferation, growth of bone tissue, immune function.
TYPES OF RETINOIDS:-
- First generation retinoids
- Second generation retinoid
- Third generation retinoids
- Fourth generation retinoids
- TARGRETIN GEL(BEXAROTENE)
- Retinol (OTC)
- Retinol esters (OTC)
- Retinaldehyde (OTC
USES OF RETINOIDS:-
- Keratosis pilaris
- Kaposi’s sarcoma
- Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
- Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Cutaneous lupus erythematosus
- Chronic hand eczema
- Actinic lentigines
- Scalp folliculitis
WHO CAN TAKE RETINOIDS?
- People of all ages and genders can take retinoids so long as they are not pregnant, breastfeeding and several retinoids can be used while pregnant breastfeeding.
- Soriatane retinoids cannot be used in patients who have liver damage. Additionally, patients may have to follow many requirements while taking retinoids to use them carefully. Alcohol should be avoided during and after treatment with certain Retinoids like Soriatane.
- Before using any retinoid products, consult to doctor and tell about your medical conditions and history and any medications you take, including prescription drugs, OTC related medicines, and vitamins or supplements.
BENEFITS OF RETINOIDS:– Applying vitamin A topically in the form of retinol includes the following benefits:
- It is most popular for its anti-aging property because retinol fixes to the retinoid receptors on the skin, increasing cell turnover and stimulating the production of elastin and collagen (skin proteins).
- It condenses the deeper skin layers and enhances the skin’s capability to retain water. It improves fine lines and wrinkles and make glowing skin.
- It also thins out the topmost epithelial layer of the skin improving the tone and surface of the skin.
- It can help stabilize the functions of oil glands and their follicles and is very helpful in controlling acne.
- It helps to soften fine lines and lighten hyperpigmentation in targeted areas or all over the skin.
SIDE –EFFECTS OF RETINOIDS:-
Retinoid drugs do not come without side effects. Various adverse effects can be prevented through additional skin care actions, such as using sun protection like a sunscreen, hat and a moisturizer. The common side effects of retinoid products include:-
- Skin dryness
- Scaling of the skin
- Pruritus (itching)
Less common side effects include:-
- Skin discoloration
- Light sensitivity
- Sensitive skin
- Initial acne flare-up
- Eczema flare-up
- Swelling of the skin
- Blistering and stinging
RETINOIDS COST:- Retinoids vary greatly in price. Most retinoids are available in a generic formulation, with a few exceptions such as Akliefand Pancretin.Some brand name retinoids can cost thousands of dollars for a single tube. Fortunately, costs can be extremely reduced by using SingleCare. Soriatane cost over $1500 .
BEST RETINOL CREAMS AND SERUMS:-
- RoC Retinol Correxion Max Daily Hydration Anti-Aging Crème
- Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Anti Wrinkle Deep Wrinkle Serum
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Face Oil Retinol Serum
- RoC Retinol Correxion Anti-Aging Eye Cream
- Body Merry Retinol Moisturizer Anti Aging/Wrinkle and Acne Face Moisturizer Cream
RETINOL RICH FRUITS:-
PAPAYA:- Papaya is rich in antioxidants of vitamin A. It is good for eye and skin. It also protect the cornea and prevents degeneration of the retina.
MANGO:- Mango is known as a king of fruits and also a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, minerals, and fibers. A medium-sized mango give almost 75% of the required vitamin A. Mango reduces the risk of cancer and other major diseases.
GRAPEFRUIT:- Grapefruit is packed with vitamin A along with vitamin C. They are loaded of antioxidants that help to stop various chronic conditions like heart diseases, eye-related problems and cancer. It also boosts immunity and keeps you healthy.
WATERMELON:- Watermelon is a naturally sweet fruit bundled with vitamin A. It works to improve immunity, eye health and skin health. It repairs skin and hairs and prevents damage.
GUAVA:- Guava is very popular as a booster for good vision due to the presence of vitamin A in it. It reduce the development of cataract and macular degeneration of the eye. It also helps to brighten up skin and slow down that skin-aging process.
GOOD SOURCE OF RETINOL:-Good sources of vitamin A (retinol) include:-
- Oily fish
- Fortified low-fat spreads
- Milk and yoghurt
- Beef Liver
- Lamb Liver
- Liver Sausage
- Cod Liver Oil
VITAMIN –A RICH AYURVRDIC HERBS :-
- Retinoids are a class of chemical compounds that derive from vitamin A. They have many uses in cosmetic way to help decrease wrinkles and signs of aging on the face.Doctors also suggest them to treat several skin conditions, such as psoriasis,acne and eczema.
- While Retinoids offer benefits, they also have side effects, such as skin irritation. However, these are more likely to occur with regular use of high doses.
- Always follow the directions for use and avoid taking the medications more frequently or in larger amounts than doctors recommend. If anyone facing any side effects should inform them to their doctor.